MedicAlert® Safely Home®
The Alzheimer Society of Canada is proud to partner with MedicAlert Foundation Canada, a non-profit organization with more than 50 years of experience in providing a voice to Canadians in an emergency, to enhance the safety of people with dementia.
The MedicAlert ID and service was originally created to help emergency responders treat people quickly and effectively who couldn’t speak for themselves. Today, the service can also help people living with dementia who go missing.
If a person with dementia goes missing…
People with dementia can become lost even in familiar places. If you care for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia, the scenario you likely fear most involves that person getting lost and coming to harm. Now, with MedicAlert protection, there’s an effective way to identify the person who is lost and bring the family back together.
24/7 Emergency Hotline Medically trained specialists are available to answer within 5 seconds and immediately supply police and emergency responders with the member’s physical description, emergency contacts and critical health information.
MedicAlert Identification Critical medical information and the Hotline Number are engraved on the ID bearing the MedicAlert symbol recognized by emergency responders.
Family Notification When called, the 24-hour Emergency Hotline specialists immediately notify caregivers or family to let them know the situation and location of the member, reducing anxiety for everyone.
Pay only $60* for 1 year of MedicAlert protection
|Join MedicAlert Safely Home and receive a complimentary EXCLUSIVE MedicAlert ID bracelet for people living with dementia.|
The protection of a MedicAlert Safely Home membership includes:
- An exclusive MedicAlert ID
- A comprehensive electronic medical profile with unlimited updates
- A 24-hour Emergency Hotline staffed with trained specialists available in 140+ languages – ready to speak for the member
- Family/emergency contact notification immediately after the hotline is called
- Follow-up with the caregiver after the Emergency Hotline is contacted
- A wallet card with health information and emergency contacts
- Access to an online electronic medical profile anytime, anywhere
Veterans receiving health benefits through Veterans Affairs Canada may be eligible for the VAC assistance program to cover the cost of joining MedicAlert Safely Home. Please include the 8 digit VAC Health Number when filling out the MedicAlert Safely Home application form.
* The MedicAlert Safely Home enrollment price of $60 includes the cost of MedicAlert membership for 1 year, a complimentary stainless steel MedicAlert ID bracelet exclusive to people living with dementia, applicable taxes and shipping & handling.
- By mail:
Download and print the Member Application Form
Mail the completed form and cheque to:
MedicAlert Foundation Canada
Morneau Shepell Centre II
895 Don Mills Road, Suite 600
Toronto, ON M3C 1W3
- By phone:
Call 1-855-581-3794 (toll-free)
*Tip: before calling, review the information required to complete a registration by reading the Member Application Form
Register on the MedicAlert website
- Ensure the member wears his/her MedicAlert ID at all times
- Keep a current photo on hand. Update it every six months.
- Keep your MedicAlert Safely Home contact and personal information up-to-date by calling 1-855-581-3794 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also be interested in a new made-in-Ontario service called Finding Your Way. While some aspects of the program (such as community service numbers) work only in Ontario, the Finding Your Way website has a lot of practical information, helpful wherever you live. Resources include tips on how to prevent people from going missing and what to do if it happens. Resources are also available in 12 different languages: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, English, French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Punjabi, Tagalog, Arabic, Urdu and Tamil. To learn more, visit www.findingyourwayontario.ca.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017