Some conditions can cause dementia or dementia-like symptoms.
With the right course of treatment, these types of dementia can be controlled and possibly cured. That’s why it is important to get a diagnosis as early as possible.
Common causes of reversible dementias:
- Medication (side effects, drug interactions, drug overdose
- Alcohol abuse
- Drug abuse
- Dietary, vitamin and mineral deficiencies (A, C, B-12 and folate)
- Traumas (due to falls, concussions or contusions to the head)
- Hormonal dysfunction (thyroid problems)
- Metabolic disorders (dehydration, kidney failure, COPD)
- Heart disease
- Brain disease (tumours)
- Environmental toxins
Please see your doctor if you are concerned about memory loss or any other symptoms of these conditions.
Last Updated: 02/12/2018