Brain Fitness Fun
Brain Fitness Fun is a community-based fitness program for older adults and those with dementia designed to improve brain health through physical activity, brain games, and social interaction. Laughter and chatter unfold throughout the program as relationships are formed with others sharing similar experiences. A minimum of 12 and a maximum of 24 participants participate in each 8 week program.
Brain Fitness Fun is held in a community setting such as a recreation center, community center, or church.
The 2-hour program consists of a combination of the following activities:
- 45-60 minutes of gentle and easy to follow physical activities facilitated by a certified fitness instructor
- 45-60 minutes of mentally stimulating activities (i.e. games, interactive discussions, etc.) focused on building personal skills facilitated by trained volunteers
- 15-20 minutes of social time with healthy refreshments
Both individuals with dementia and their care partners receive many benefits from participating in the Brain Fitness Fun program. Participating in a socially, physically and mentally active lifestyle helps reduce the risk of dementia and slows the progression of the disease by encouraging the development of new cells and connections in the brain. For the care partners, it’s also an opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner. Other benefits include:
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences
- Sharpened mental functioning
- Increased sense of social participation
- Increased sense of independence
Brain Fitness Fun is a program intended for people with early to mid-stage signs of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias and their care partners. However, other older adults are welcome to join on their own as well!
Three ways you can get involved with Brain Fitness Fun include:
- Become a participant
Contacting the office to sign-up for upcoming Brain Fitness Fun programs. Upon sign-up, participants will be asked a few questions to ensure the program is the right fit for them. Become a participant today!
- Become a program delivery partner
Are you part of a community group or recreation facility that would like to offer your services or space to host Brain Fitness Fun? Get in touch with the Alzheimer Society office today to find how you can bring this exciting program to your community.
Are you looking for a fun and interactive opportunity to give back to your community? Brain Fitness Fun is a great program to volunteer your time for. Make a difference in your community and join our team today!
- Become a participant
For more information about this exciting program, to get involved or to register contact the Alzheimer Society office at 902-370-3135 or email@example.com.
Last Updated: 02/14/2018