U-First!® is a training program that helps healthcare professionals establish a common knowledge base, language, values and approach to caring for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
This 6-hour course will provide a greater understanding of the person living with dementia and associated behavior changes. Learners will receive a workbook, U-First!® wheel, and access to additional resources on the U-First!® website.
U-First!® Learning Objectives:
By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
- Utilize the U-First!® wheel to effectively understand responsive behaviors and create a healthy workplace
- Prioritize behavior changes according to degree of client risk
- Reflect on interactions with persons with dementia and their family
- Increase effective communication strategies for person-centered care
- Collaborate with the health care team to provide individualized care strategies
Note: U-First!® is not P.I.E.C.E.S. training; however, participants will learn how to use basic PIECES concepts to observe changes and participate in care planning.
The Alzheimer Society of PEI has embedded the U-First!® training program into our new dementia care training program. Private U-First!® training sessions can also be held upon request.
Upcoming Private Sessions
March 22, 9:00am – 4:00pm in Charlottetown
May 23, 9:00am – 4:00pm in Summerside
For more information, contact our Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-370-3135.
Last Updated: 03/01/2018