Doctors and clinicians are often approached to assist people with Alzheimer’s disease and their families in determining when a person can no longer continue to drive.
Doctors are bound by law, in some provinces, and by professional ethics, to report medical conditions that could impair a person’s ability to drive. They also may be held liable if a person in their care who has Alzheimer’s disease is involved in an auto accident and they have not reported the person’s driving problems to provincial licensing authorities.
Resources and useful strategies related to driving and dementia:
- Free Driving and Dementia e-Learning Module: This free e-learning module addresses the needs of physicians for resources related to driving and dementia, and to help navigate the process of assessing fitness-to-drive, disclosure, reporting and more.
- DriveABLE: An innovative technology can help health-care professionals quickly and accurately determine the driving competence of medically at-risk drivers.
- CanDrive: An interdisciplinary health-related research program dedicated to improving the safety of older drivers.
- Free journal article on driving and dementia: The Canadian Geriatrics Society (CGS) CME Journal has accumulated a number of free, full open access articles on driving and dementia.
- CMA Driver's Guide: Determining medical fitness to operate motor vehicles.
- Older Drivers in Canada and their Families: A website providing useful tips on safe driving and risk-reducing strategies. Developed by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists in association with the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Videos on driving and dementia
- Dementia & Driving Resource Center from the Alzheimer Association of the US. Realistic scenarios to help families start the conversation about driving.
- Driving and Dementia, an online video with strategies for caregivers from the Alzheimer Society of B.C.
- Driving and Dementia, a presentation hosted by brainXchange, focuses how Alzheimer’s disease or dementia effects the ability to drive and on the evaluation process to assess fitness-to-drive.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017