Blue Umbrella Project
As a business/organization in Thunder Bay, you have a unique opportunity to be part of the pilot phase of this project at no charge to you. Participating in the Dementia-Friendly Community education program is an excellent opportunity for your business to provide a higher quality service to new and existing customers. By participating in the program you will encourage people living with dementia and their family members and friends to choose you.
- The education training program for businesses is one hour long, and additional handouts and resources are provided for staff (see reverse for program details).
- The Dementia-Friendly Community education program will help people with dementia to feel safe, to be supported in their independence, and to have a positive experience in the community.
- Businesses that participate and complete the program can proudly display a blue umbrella decal identifying them as a partner who provides a dementia-friendly experience, and will have the opportunity to be named in our dementia-friendly directory of businesses and organizations.
Local businesses that have become Dementia Friendly Certified:
- Chartwell Select (Arundel)
- Chartwell Select (Isabella)
- Chartwell Select (Glacier Ridge)
- Investors Group Thunder Bay
- Oak Medical Arts (Beverly)
- Oak Medical Arts (Cumberland)
- Oak Medical Arts (Golf Links)
- Shoppers Home Health Care
Check out this interactive map of Thunder Bay. Each pin represents a local business or organization that has received training and is certified Dementia Friendly.
Training and Education for Businesses and Organizations
After the successful completion of the Dementia-Friendly Communities training, the business/organization will be given the opportunity to be included in on the Alzheimer Society of Thunder Bay's website and newsletter.
- Initial Interview and Assessment
- Dementia-Friendly Training with Staff
- Follow Up: Site Check In
- Receive blue umbrella decal
- Evaluation: Secret Shopper visit (1-3 months post education session)
- Follow ups (3-6 months, 6-12 months, and 12-18 months)
Last Updated: 11/08/2017