What should you do?
If you have been diagnosed with dementia and you’re still working, you may be concerned about letting your employer know you have the disease.
A person with dementia may exhibit one or more of these signs:
- Difficulty with routine tasks
- Repeatedly asking the same questions
- Getting lost or confused in familiar environments
- Displaying poor or decreased judgement
- Unable to follow directions
- Showing changes in mood, behaviour and personality
- Difficulty with abstract thinking
- Displaying loss of initiative
You may have noticed some of these signs in yourself. You may also find that you feel:
- Embarrassed by how forgetful you’ve become
- Frustrated that routine tasks take twice as long to complete yet require your full attention
- Distracted by the hustle and bustle around the office
- Exhausted and irritable at the end of most days
- Fearful about finances if you are forced to leave work
- Overwhelmed and uncertain about what to do.