COVID-19 and the Society’s response: March 13, 2020
The COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation is rapidly evolving here in British Columbia and around the world. The Alzheimer Society of B.C. is continuing to monitor the situation in order to plan our response. Our decision-making is guided by the latest information from the Public Health Agency of Canada as well as BC Centre for Disease Control. The health and safety of our community members is paramount to us.
Our foremost commitment is to continue to serve British Columbian families affected by dementia through First Link® dementia support. We understand the crucial information, education and community connection that First Link® provides for both people living with dementia and their care partners.
If you are deciding about whether to attend our programs, we encourage you to make the best decision according to your own health and circumstances:
- If you are unwell, please stay home.
- Please practice good hygiene including proper hand washing with soap and water, and covering mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, ideally with the crook of your elbow instead of your hand.
- If you are planning to travel outside of Canada or have recently travelled and returned back from outside of Canada on or after February 28, we ask that you wait a period of 14-days before attending any of our events, programs or support groups.
Many of our community partners who provide venues for our programs are choosing to cancel until further notice out of an abundance of caution. As much as possible, we will do our best to hold programs at our local resource centres or to notify you if there is a change to a program you have registered for in your community.
Day by day we are making the best decisions we can with the information available to us, and we may continue to make decisions that affect our regular operations. Please continue to visit our website to find updated information on the Society’s response.
If you have questions or concerns, contact your nearest resource centre by phone or email, or call the First Link® Dementia Helpline at:
- English: 1-800-936-6033 (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Cantonese and Mandarin: 1-833-674-5007 (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Punjabi: 1-833-674-5003 (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
The First Link® Dementia Helpline is for anyone affected by dementia, whether professionally or personally. Helpline staff and volunteers give people the support they need, when they need it.