Making a referral to First Link®
A diagnosis of dementia is hard to give and hard to hear.
Referring to First Link® as soon as you suspect a diagnosis of dementia provides support for your patients or clients between clinical visits and connects them – both people living with dementia and caregivers – to the Alzheimer Society of B.C.’s programs and services so they can live as well as possible.
Refer a patient or client to First Link® by faxing a Referral form to 604-238-7390 or 1-833-238-7390. Please note: the PDF form is not fillable through Mozilla Firefox.
Without a referral from a health-care provider, it takes people an average of 11 months longer to connect with the Alzheimer Society of B.C., but those 11 months can be a critical time for planning and developing support networks.
When you refer to First Link,® your client or patient will be contacted by the Alzheimer Society of B.C. within a few weeks of being referred. We will offer appropriate First Link® programs and services:
- Individual Support: Ongoing support calls to help identify changing needs.
- Dementia Education: In-person and online education workshops, on a wide variety of topics from diagnosis to end of life, including Getting to Know Dementia, Shaping the Journey, the Family Caregiver Series and Grief and Loss.
- Support Groups: In-person and telephone groups for people in the early stages of dementia and groups for caregivers.
- Minds in Motion®: a social and fitness program for people in the early stages of dementia to attend with a care partner.
- Information: Including brochures, fact sheets and videos, as well as quarterly newsletters including updates on events in your patients' area.
We will also inform your patients/clients about other community and health-care services as necessary.
Throughout the progression of the disease, First Link® clients receive regular, proactive contact from the Alzheimer Society of B.C. and we continue to provide relevant support as their needs change.
How can you refer?
Refer a patient or client – either a person living with dementia or a caregiver – to First Link® using a referral form. Download the Referral form. Please note: the PDF form is not fillable through Mozilla Firefox.
Submit your referral form by faxing 604-238-7390 or 1-833-238-7390. Call the helpline if you have questions.