Other resources for the person with dementia
Whether you are newly diagnosed or in a later stage of dementia, the Alzheimer Society has resources available to you. For information and programs near you, contact your local Alzheimer Society.
Learning about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- What is Alzheimer’s disease?
- Dispelling the myths
- A report on Alzheimer’s disease and current research by Scientific Director Emeritus Dr. Jack Diamond
- Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center – current and comprehensive information about Alzheimer’s disease and resources from the U.S. government’s National Institute on Aging.
Living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- First Steps: For those recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease
- Treatment options
- What to expect
- Shared experiences: Suggestions for those with Alzheimer’s disease
- By Us For Us Guides – inspirational guides for people with early stage memory loss
- Late-Stage dementia: Promoting comfort, compassion and care, by Michael Gordon and Natalie Baker (order through Dr. Gordon’s website: www.drmichaelgordon.com)
- Dancing with dementia: My story of living positively with dementia, by Christine Bryden (order through Jessica Kingsley Publishers: www.jkp.com)
- The person with Alzheimer’s disease: Pathways to understanding the experience, edited by Phyllis Braudy Harris (order through Johns Hopkins University Press)
Forums and chats for people with dementia
- Alzheimer Society of Canada Message Board
- Alzheimer's Association Message Board and Chat Rooms
- DASN (Dementia Advocacy and Support Network) (daily real-time chat at 3 p.m. EST and 9 p.m. EST)
any resources are available online for people living with dementia. Please note that the Alzheimer Society of Canada is not able to guarantee the accuracy of the information on these websites and does not endorse any products or services offered through them.
- DASN International (Dementia Advocacy and Support Network) – An online community that is part of a non-profit organization working to improve the lives of people with dementia.
- DementiaGuide – a website that helps people with Alzheimer’s disease and their caregivers recognize, understand, record and monitor symptoms