The Caregiver Wellness Program is comprised of two parts. The Navigating Your Journey portion provides the opportunity for care partners to familiarize themselves with the Alzheimer Society and learn some first steps on their journey. The Staying Connected portion provides an opportunity for care partners to stay in touch with other attendees and our organization. Respite services are available for both programs - please call the Alzheimer Society at 905-687-3914 to discuss eligibility.
All care partners who have participated in the Navigating Your Journey sessions are invited to attend a bi-monthly Caregiver Wellness: Staying Connected session. As well, a general invitation to all care partners will be extended to provide opportunities for care partners to stay in touch through workshops, guest speakers and special events.
Scheduled events will align with the interests of the group and may include:
- Social events
- Guest speakers
- Opportunities to build connections
- September 25, 2019: Therapy Tails - Meet the Therapy Tail dogs and learn about the benefits of pet therapy. 10:00 am - 12:00 noon.
- November 27, 2019: Self-Care Workshop - Presented by Naomi O'Brien, Respite Services Manager, Seniors Community Programs Niagara Region
- January 29, 2020: Armchair Travel (destination to be determined) 10:00 am - 12:00 noon.
Navigating Your Journey
This 2.5 hour introductory workshop for care partners runs the second Wednesday of each month at 10 am and will cover the following topics:
- Brief description of "What is dementia" vs. "Normal aging"
- Overview of how to get a diagnosis
- Having difficult conversations
- Self-care tips and strategies
- Mindfulness breathing
- Alzheimer Society of Niagara Region services and other community services
Registration is required. Please call our front desk at 905-687-3914.
NOTE: This program has been cancelled for the months of July and August, and will resume in September 2019.