Education for Caregivers
Next Steps and Care Essentials
Next Steps and Care Essentials offers an opportunity for families and friends of individuals with a diagnosis of dementia to learn more about dementia, develop caregiving strategies, and become familiar with community resources and supports. This 4 week series will be offered monthly in various cities throughout the Niagara Region and each series will cover the following topics:
Week 1: Overview of Dementia, Diagnosis & Healthy Brain Strategies
Week 2: Communication & Environmental Strategies
Week 3: Understanding and Managing Challenging Behaviours
Week 4: Difficult Discussions, Role Changes & Self-Care
Each session is facilitated by trained staff. In order to receive the full benefit of this series it is recommended that you plan to attend all 4 weeks.
All family caregivers and friends are welcome. There is no charge for this series. Respite services available - please call the Alzheimer Society at 905-687-3914 to discuss eligibility.
Click on dates below for more information including locations and maps.
- April 7, 9, 14, 16 - 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm. Online using the Zoom platform
- May 4, 6, 11, 13 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Online using the Zoom platform
Options for Care
This brand new workshop focuses on giving participants the opportunity to explore the care options that support persons living with dementia in the moderate to late stages of their journey.
Join us as we explore:
- Choosing the right level of care: aging at home, retirement or Long-term care
- Learn the process around Long-term care application
- Explore options for discussing the Long-term care move
- Explore moving day strategies
- Learn about the resources to navigate transition to alternate levels of care
- May 13, 2020, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (online via Zoom)
- August 12, 2020, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- November 11, 2020, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
LTC Transition & Self-Health
This workshop is specifically designed for care partners with a family member who has recently moved to long-term care.
Join us as we explore:
- When and how to visit your loved one in care
- Meaningful visits and communication
- Working with long-term care staff
- Loss and grief
- May 27, 2020, 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm (online via Zoom)