Education for children and youth
Remember Me is a program that kids can attend to learn more about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. In four sessions, you’ll find out why your family member with the disease may be acting differently, how you can talk to them, which activities you can do together and how the disease affects your family. The lessons include movies, games, crafts and stories, so they’re always lots of fun!
The Woodstock branch of CIBC Wood Gundy is proud to support the Remember Me program of the Alzheimer Society of Oxford.
CIBC Private Wealth Management consists of services provided by CIBC and certain of its subsidiaries, including CIBC Wood Gundy, a division of CIBC World Markets Inc. “CIBC Private Wealth Management” is a registered trademark of CIBC, used under license. “Wood Gundy” is a registered trademark of CIBC World Markets Inc.
Just for the Summer
This is another program available for grade 6 and high school students around Oxford County. In a one hour presentation, you’ll learn about Alzheimer’s disease and how it affects a person, watch a video and have some time at the end to ask questions.
Forget-You-Not is a program offered for teens ages fourteen to nineteen who have someone in their family or a friend with dementia. The program offers an opportunity to meet others in the same situation and share some of your experiences and feelings. During the program, you will be given information about:
- how the disease affects the brain
- common behaviours related to Alzheimer's disease or other dementias
- how to communicate with the person who has dementia
- appropriate activities to share with your relative
- creating and keeping a safe environment for the person with the disease
- how the disease affects the whole family
- the importance of taking time for yourself to have fun
- care facilities and what to expect when a family member needs this type of care
A variety of teaching methods will be utilized, including videos, discussions, simulation exercises, role-playing and crafts, as well as lessons delivered by the instructors.