Education for the person living with dementia
The first course in the First Link® Learning Series is designed for the person living with dementia and their primary care partner.
First Steps for People Living with Dementia and Care Partners
This series helps people newly diagnosed with a dementia and their care partners understand their diagnosis and the changes they experience. It offers participants an opportunity to share and connect with others. Topics covered during this course include:
- What is dementia: a look at different types of dementia and discussion of early symptoms of dementia, diagnosis and medications.
- Adapting to brain changes: a discussion on adapting to brain changes and maximizing brain health.
- Planning ahead: Topics discussed include assessing and managing risk, Advance Care Planning and managing finances.
- Building a Circle of Support: a look at ways to recognize and manage stress and discussion around supports available in the community.
Comments from past First Steps participants:
"We enjoyed sharing information, which brought tears and laughter!"
"It can be scary looking ahead with dementia and this course elevated (sic) my worries."
"(First Steps) gave me a feeling I am not alone and there is help available. So glad we came."
Upcoming Courses - Summer/Fall 2019
Wednesdays, July 10, 17, 24 & 31
10 a.m. - noon
Saturdays, September 7 & 14
9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Fridays, October 4, 11, 18 & 25
1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Fridays, October 18, 25, November 1 & 8
1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Thursdays, November 7, 14, 21 & 28
10:00 a.m. - noon
There is no fee to attend First Steps; however, registration is required. It is recommended that participants attend all sessions in the series.
For more information or to register, call or email:
Taking Control of our Lives
Taking Control of Our Lives is an 8-week self management course for people living with early dementia. Topics over the eight weeks include:
- Memory tips and strategies
- Keeping a positive outlook
- Finding purpose and meaning
- Adapting to changes in dementia
- Building resilience
- Problem solving
- Communication strategies
- Finding my voice
- Having difficult conversations
- Building and keeping connections
- Stigma and creating inclusive spaces
- Emotional wellness
- Transforming with grief and loss
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Understanding and lowering risk
- Working with your health care provider(s)
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
Taking Control of Our Lives is intended to help you, a person living with dementia, to develop skills, increase your confidence and feel empowered to take control of your life by talking with and learning from others that may be experiencing some of the same things that your are.
It is recommended that people attend First Steps before Taking Control of Our Lives, but it is not a requirement.
Upcoming Course - Fall 2019
Mondays, September 30 - November 25 (excluding October 14)
10 a.m. - noon
There is no fee to attend Taking Control of our Lives; however, registration is required. It is recommended that participants try to attend all sessions in the series.
For more information or to register, call Dana Bessette at 705-722-1066 ext 225 or Toll-free 1-800-265-5391.
Email: [email protected]