1. Collection of Personal Information
The Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan is committed to identifying the purposes for which Personal Information is collected at or before the time the information is collected, and to documenting the purposes for which Personal Information is collected. The Personal Information we may collect includes:
• Contact information (address, email, phone, title)
2. Use of Personal Information
The above noted Personal Information we collect may be used by ASOS and Federation Partners for the following limited purposes:
• To cross-reference Personal Information between and amongst all federation Partners
• To enable ASOS to share information with you about our upcoming events and/or programs and services
• To invite you to make a donation to help support the work of ASOS
• To provide information and support to people with dementia and their families
3. Disclosure of Personal Information
• Personal Information may also be disclosed without your consent if required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or governmental tribunal; where the society believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety, or property of an identifiable person or group.
4. Storing, Processing and Securing of Personal Information
ASOS stores and maintains Personal Information in conformity with the requirements of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and the Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information created and approved by the Canadian Standards Association. When we use third party service providers for processing of Personal Information, we use contractual or other means to ensure that your Personal Information is protected. In some cases, third party service
providers may store or transfer Personal Information in or to countries where compliance with Canadian privacy laws cannot always be guaranteed. Please rest assured that ASOS makes reasonable efforts to contract only with trustworthy service providers who are committed to protecting the privacy of your Personal Information.
We use a variety of secure means to store and safeguard your Personal Information. These include:
• Password protected databases with access limited to authorized staff
• All paper based information is stored in the secure, locked provincial Alzheimer Society office. The information is stored for seven years as per CRA legislative rules. After seven years, the information is shredded offsite by a company that follows strictest industry standards for safeguarding information and data security.
• All ASOS electronic files are saved on a password protected secure network. All network traffic routes through a firewall that is regularly monitored by an IT company that follows industry standards for protecting and safeguarding information and data security.
• Building premises are secured by an alarm system that is monitored 24/7. Off hours access is limited to authorized staff.
5. Website Use
ASOS may collect and use an individual’s IP address, and date and time that the individual accessed our website, to help identify the individual, gather broad demographic information about users of the website, diagnose problems with our systems, and administer the website.
6. The Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information
Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan applies the ten principles of the Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information when collecting, using or disclosing your Personal Information.
a) Developing procedures to protect Personal Information;
b) Developing procedures to receive and respond to complaints and inquiries;
c) Training our staff about our policies and practices respecting Personal Information; and
d) Developing and distributing information to our staff and the general public explaining our policies and procedures respecting Personal Information.
ii. Identifying Purposes
a) Conform to obligations imposed by law or statute;
b) meet an emergency need; and/or
c) As required pursuant to a criminal investigation.
You may withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions, and reasonable notice, by contacting the Chief Privacy Compliance Officer. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent may impact on our ability to serve you and to maintain your relationship with us.
iv. Limiting Collection
ASOS restricts the collection of Personal Information only to that information that is necessary for the limited purposes noted above. We are committed to collecting Personal Information in a fair,
open and lawful manner. For this reason, we do not indiscriminately collect Personal Information. We collect Personal Information to fulfill the above-noted purposes only, and for no other purposes.
v. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
ASOS is committed to maintain accurate, complete and up-to-date Personal Information. If you are aware of changes to the Personal Information you have given to us, simply inform us of the changes and we will update our records accordingly. You may check and correct your Personal Information by contacting the Chief Privacy Compliance Officer assigned to oversee the day-to-day care and control of Personal Information by writing or emailing your request to the address set our below.
ASOS has developed and implemented security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the Personal Information kept by us. We also ensure that any of our employees who deal with Personal Information are properly trained and are aware of the necessary and appropriate measures required to protect Personal Information. Any Personal Information kept by us is disposed of or destroyed once it is no longer needed to meet the purposes for which it was collected.
ASOS makes information about its policies and practices respecting the collection and maintenance of Personal Information available to all interested parties. We are pleased to answer any questions that you may have regarding the collection and maintenance of Personal Information. Please forward any questions in writing or email to the address set out below.
ix. Individual Access
You can also request access to your Personal Information held by us. However, we reserve the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access to Personal Information before complying with any access requests. Please forward your access request in writing or email to the address set out below.
x. Challenging Compliance
As noted above, ASOS has designated an official who is responsible for the day-to-day care and control of Personal Information. This official will receive and respond to all information requests regarding our privacy policies or about your Personal Information under our care and control. We investigate all complaints received by us and respond in writing in a timely manner. If any
complaint is found to be justified, then we will take appropriate measures to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the complainant.
7. Additional Information
If you would like more information about our policies, or if you would like to access or correct the Personal Information we have about you in our records, then please contact our Chief Privacy Compliance Officer by email or in writing, as provided below:
ATTENTION: CHIEF PRIVACY COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Leslie Quennell – Communications and Marketing Manager
Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan
SCHEDULE A – FEDERATION PARTNERS
Alzheimer Society of Canada
Alzheimer Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories
Alzheimer Society of British Columbia
Alzheimer Society of Manitoba
Société Alzheimer Society New Brunswick / Nouveau-Brunswick
Société Alzheimer Society Newfoundland & Labrador
Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia
Alzheimer Society of Ontario
Alzheimer Society of Prince Edward Island
Alzheimer Society of Québec Alzheimer Societies
Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan
For Yukon and Nunavut, please contact the provincial Alzheimer Society office closest to where you live.