Dementia Care Conference
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (registration open 9:30 a.m.)
Kaministiquia Room, Best Western Plus Nor'Wester Hotel & Conference Centre
2080 Highway 61, Thunder Bay
About the Conference:
The Alzheimer Society of Thunder Bay is pleased to announce our newly revitalized Dementia Care Conference will be held on Tuesday, September 18th, 2018. This full day conference includes a variety of interactive projects, inspirational Guest Speakers, and valuable educational experiences, providing insight in regards to dementia care.
Who Should Attend:
All health care professionals, non-professional caregivers, researchers working with older adults, including nurses, occupational therapists, physicians, long-term care administrators, CCAC case managers, physiotherapists, personal support workers, speech pathologists and recreational therapists.
This year’s Guest Speakers and Agenda:
The day’s activities will include:
1) 9:30am-10:00am- Registration
2) 10:15am-11:15pm- Guest Speaker and author Elizabeth Murray will take us through her journey as a care partner, using excerpts from her new book Holding on to Mamie: My Mother, Dementia and Me, to help other individuals who are going through a similar journey. Elizabeth has been a Guest Speaker at a variety of educational presentations and conferences throughout Canada, adding to the library of knowledge that healthcare professionals and care partners have about the disease. Her areas of expertise surround the anger and paranoia that are so often symptoms loved ones find difficult to deal with and talk about. Elizabeth’s book will be available for purchase throughout the day.
3) 11:15am-12:00pm- For the past eight years Margie Uurainen has been a Social Worker at the Alzheimer Society of Thunder Bay. Margie recognizes that grief can be a very lonely and overwhelming experience. Margie has devoted the past twenty five years to helping people create meaning out of their experiences. She will share her knowledge and personal journey through grief in order to assist care partners and front line workers on positive ways to manage and honour their losses.
4) 12:00pm-1:00pm- Lunch provided (If you have dietary restrictions, please call 345-9556 to inform the Society. This must be done at least one week before the conference).
5) 1:00pm-2:30pm- Teri Gyemi, Tranformational Life Coach, will guide our guests with a workshop titled ‘Do you say Yes, when you really mean No?’. This workshop will teach that it’s ok and important to honor your authentic needs and skillful ways to express them. Guests will leave with a very important skill set that will increase self-confidence, self-worth and self-expression. To conclude her workshop, Teri will guide our guests with gentle chair yoga to reduce stress and improve mental clarity.
6) 2:30pm-3:00pm-The Alzheimer Society of Thunder Bay will present information regarding our Referral Process, Programs and Services that we offer, as well as introduce our new First Link Care Navigator to discuss their community involvement.
7) 3:00pm-3:30pm- Group Discussions & Networking will allow guests to intermingle with various organizations and professionals, discuss information presented throughout the day, and delve into their own best practices and tips-challenging themselves with potential tools to incorporate in their work/home environment.
8) 3:30pm-4:00pm- Wrap –up of event and prize announcements.
To purchase tickets online: www.dcc2018.eventbrite.ca
To purchase tickets in-person: 180 Park Avenue, Suite 310. Thunder Bay, ON
For more information, call: (807) 345-9556