Caregiver Support and Education
Our comprehesive social work program provides practical support to caregivers coping with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. In supporting the family caregivers, we provide education about the disease, coping techniques and therapeutic counselling for the caregivers.
The social worker assists families and individuals throughout their journey with the disease. The social work program provides families and individuals coping wth Alzheimer's disease and other dementias with a holistic approach to looking at their issues. The social workers help the client to navigate the system to access diagnostic and medical supports, access community services as required, access CCAC assistance and other supports as required (for example, hospice support, private home health care, live in supports, financial and legal supports etc.). This specialized service navigation role is a fundamental aspect of the services we have provided in the York Region for over 25 years.
- To provide support, education and resouce information to families and individuals coping with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias in the York Region
- To assist families and individuals navigate through the disease process
- Confidential counselling and support
- Professional registered social workers
- Knowledgeable about Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
- Knowledgeable about caregiving issues
- Knowledgeable about community supports
- Flexible hours -- Monday through Saturday
- Service provided by phone, email, home, office or community visits
- Service also available in Italian and Cantonese
- Disease specific supportive counselling
- Coping mechanisms
- Stress and behaviour management
- Problem solving
- Crisis intervention
- Case management
- Needs assessment
- Assessment for cognitively specific day programs (Alzheimer Society D.A.Y. programs at Thornhill and Aurora, Stouffville, Mackenzie Health Centre, CHATS - Rural ADP, Balance of Care and Circle of Care)
- Referrals to community services
- Support provided throughout the course of the dementia journey
There are no fees for the Social Work Program offered by the Alzheimer Society of York Region.