What is Dementia Care Training?
The Dementia Care Training program is a comprehensive education program offered by the Alzheimer Society of PEI for healthcare professionals to increase best practices in dementia care. Encompassing: U-First® (includes P.I.E.C.E.S.™); PAC®; LGBTQ2+.
Each 12-hour course will provide and enhance your knowledge and awareness of dementia, increase your effective communication strategies, and practice hands-on skills which will enable you to provide quality care for persons with dementia. Learners will receive a workbook, U-FIRST! wheel, e-handouts and access to additional resources on the U-FIRST! website.
DCT101 Learning Objectives
By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
- Utilize U-FIRST principles to effectively understand responsive behaviours.
- Understand the basics of Positive Approach to Care: Hand-under-Hand™ techniques
- Identify an individual’s progression using Teepa Snow’s GEMS™ Framework.
- Increase effective communication strategies for person-centered care.
- Describe signs, symptoms and biomedical effects of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
- Understand how one experiences dementia via Virtual Dementia Tour.
Please bring the following:
- Face mask
- Long sleeve shirt
- Your own food & beverages
Click here to register.