Whether you're interested in joining the program as a participant, or volunteering, all you need to do to get started is to contact us:
Phone: 519-271-1910 ext. 27
Email: [email protected]
What is Minds in Motion®?
Combining physical activity and mental stimulation, Minds in Motion® unfolds to laughter and chatter, with new friendships forming and stories being shared.
Through the Minds in Motion® program, both the person living with dementia and the caregiver can benefit from the following:
- Gentle and easy-to-follow physical activities.
- Fun social activities focused on building personal skills.
Who can participate?
- Minds in Motion® participants have early to mid-stage signs of dementia and are accompanied by their caregivers.
- In some circumstances individuals register on their own, please connect with us for more information on this option.
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program.
- Each person pays a minimal registration fee of $20 per person.
How often does the program run, and for how long?
The two-hour program runs once a week, for eight weeks. Participants commit to an eight week session. There is a waiting list.
Where does the program run?
Call the MIM Program Coordinator at the Alzheimer Society of Perth County to find the closest Minds in Motion® program to you and for information on the Fall sessions. This program runs throughout the year in two different locations as well as virtually:
- Stratford - Tuesdays
- St. Marys - Thursdays
- Listowel - Fridays
- Virtually - Mondays
The benefits of Minds in Motion®
The person living with dementia benefits from...
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness.
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance.
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences.
“The people involved are most helpful. Pleasant and understanding - it’s been a very worthwhile course.” – Person living with dementia
The care partner benefits from...
- An opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner.
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners.
"I enjoyed participating in both the physical exercise and the social activities. It was wonderful meeting and getting to know all the participants. A great group! Overall, a great program. We both love coming. Leaders are excellent—always empathetic and great teachers.” – Caregiver
All participants benefit from...
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting two to three days.
- An increased sense of social participation.
“Excellent program—great people, got me out of the house and got a lot of information and communication with other people. I felt more comfortable being here a second time, saw an improvement in my mother—she smiled often!” - Family caregiver
- Participants’ endurance improved by 20% and strength by 15%.
- Participants reported decreased social isolation and an increase in informal networks of support.
- 79% of participants continue with physical and social programs after participating.
- Close to 100 volunteers and students have been trained and are active in program delivery.
- 90% of staff, volunteers and students identified an increase in their dementia knowledge.
Our Minds in Motion® partners
Thank you to all of our participants, sponsors and supporters across Ontario! Thank you to the Ontario Trillium Foundation for their longstanding funding of Minds in Motion®.
More useful links and resources
Tips to reduce your risk of dementia. Alzheimer Society of Canada. This page lists evidence-based tips and strategies to help you lead a healthy, balanced lifestyle that protects your brain and reduces your risk of dementia.