For more information, please contact us:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 902-628-2257
U-FIRST! is a training program that helps healthcare professionals establish a common knowledge base, language, values and approach to caring for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
This 6-hour course will provide a greater understanding of the person living with dementia and associated behavioural changes. Learners will receive a workbook, U-FIRST wheel, and access to additional resources on the U-FIRST website.
U-FIRST! Learning Objectives:
By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
- Utilize the U-FIRST! wheel to effectively understand responsive behaviours and create a healthy workplace
- Prioritize behaviour changes according to the degree of client risk
- Reflect on interactions with persons with dementia and their family
- Increase effective communication strategies for person-centred care
- Collaborate with the health care team to provide individualized care strategies
Note: U-FIRST! is not P.I.E.C.E.S. training; however, participants will learn how to use basic PIECES concepts to observe changes and participate in care planning.
The Alzheimer Society of PEI has embedded the U-FIRST! training program into our Dementia Care Training (DCT) program.
Private U-FIRST! training sessions can also be held upon request.