Alzheimer Society of Canada
The Alzheimer Society’s vision is a world without Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Our mission is to alleviate the personal and social consequences of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and to promote research.
Collaboration Accountability Respect Excellence
The Alzheimer Society is an equal opportunity employer and we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We are also committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Human Rights Code and AODA and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Community Partnership Intern (Canada Summer Jobs)
Reports to: Director, Research and Knowledge Translation & Exchange
The Community Partnership Intern will support an exciting and ground-breaking initiative the Alzheimer Society of Canada is developing to build new relationships and resources with diverse, underserved communities across the country so that people who live with dementia, their care partners, or healthcare professionals can be more actively engaged in managing dementia. The initiative is the first of its kind in Canada, gathering crucial data, evidence and developing multilingual and multimedia products for a broad range of audiences who are impacted by dementia.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with the Research and Knowledge Translation and Exchange (KTE) team to support the deployment of KTE tools to the public.
- Supports the connections and relationships being built with diverse ethnic and racial communities across the country to support engagement with ASC projects
- Leads the development of a process to support more culturally diverse audiences through the translation of key educational resources. Responsibilities may include conducting environmental scans, developing a process framework, and engaging appropriate stakeholders and consultants.
- Journalism – researching and writing for diverse audiences
- Social Sciences – working and connecting with diverse cultural communities
- Social Work – engaging with community groups, including the elderly, people with dementia, and care partners
- Gerontology – connecting and working prominently with older generations
Minimum first year university undergraduate; lived experience with dementia care will be considered an asset
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
- Must have strong communications ability, especially regarding direct interaction with community groups, and in the development and review of educational resources, with an exceptional attention to detail
- Must have a personable approach to relationship building, particularly across diverse populations (cultural and generational)
- Must have a clear understanding of the needs of marginalized communities when it comes to educational resources, and approach to story-telling
- Must have both patience when connecting with communities, and drive to deliver results, finding innovative pathways to develop connections
- Would be useful to have an understanding or familiarity with the symptomatic details of dementia
- Successful candidates will be excited to join and excel in a collaborative, team-focused environment, with the keen ability to multi-task and be organized across all projects
2021 Canada Summer Jobs Eligibility Requirements:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*International Students are not eligible
This contract role requires thirty-five (35) hours per week for eight (8) weeks.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Please include the ‘Job Title’ in the subject line.
Closing Date: June 15, 2021
We thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.