We are offering various learning opportunities online to help families and friends continue to stay connected and enhance their knowledge of dementia. These programs will be hosted by an Alzheimer Society staff member.
Zoom Instructions and Training
If you would like to participate in any of these on-line programs, please:
- Use a computer, tablet or iPad to install Zoom (download instructions)
- On a computer, go to https://zoom.us/ and download and install the platform (top right corner, it’s safe, easy and free! May take about 5 minutes)
- On an iPad, go to the App Store and install "Zoom Cloud Meetings"
- On a tablet, go to the Google Play Store and install "Zoom Cloud Meetings"
- Choose any on-line education/program that interests you and register using the link provided below
- You will be sent a confirmation email with the instructions for accessing your class
- If you have questions about the zoom platform, please email [email protected] for more detailed instructions
Zoom Practice Sessions
Join us to test your connection to Zoom and increase your comfort using the platform to connect with our programs. Explore features inside Zoom including using the chat box, renaming your display name, turning your video on and off, mute and un-mute, and display options. Once you register you will be sent an email containing the link to the zoom session.
- March 31, 2021 @ 10:00 am
- April 22, 2021 @ 10:00 am
- May 12, 2021 @ 2pm
Respite Recreation Hour
We invite everyone across Ontario to join us for a virtual variety show! Every Monday @ 11:00 am we will present fun and engaging activities such as:
- Word puzzles
- Reminiscent stories
- And much more!
Next Steps and Care Essentials
Next Steps and Care Essentials is a 4 part series offering an opportunity for families and friends of individuals with a diagnosis of dementia to learn more about dementia, develop caregiving strategies, and become familiar with community resources and supports.
- Part 1: Overview of Dementia, Diagnosis & Healthy Brain Strategies
- Part 2: Communication & Environmental Strategies
- Part 3: Understanding & Managing Challenging Behaviours
- Part 4: Difficult Discussions, Role Changes & Self Care
- April 20, 22, 27, 29 from 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
- May 18, 20, 25, 27 from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- June 15, 17, 22, 24 from 10:00 am - 12:00 noon
U-First! for Care Partners
U-First! for Care Partners is an innovative education program for individuals who are supporting someone with behaviour changes due to dementia or cognitive impairment. This 8 hour education program is run in 3 weekly sessions.
It is recommended that participants have completed week one of the Next Steps & Care Essentials series, or attended a "What is Dementia?" presentation prior to attending this program.
- Enhance your well-being and that of the person you are supporting who is experiencing behaviour changes
- Improve collaboration among all team members through a common knowledge, language and approach to care
- Reduce responsive behaviours by using the U-First! framework
- May 7, 14 and 21 from 1:00pm am - 3:30 pm
The Caregiver Wellness program provides social and educational opportunities through different workshops in the Staying Connected series.
- April 14, 2021 @ 10:00 am. Meaningful Connections
- May 5, 2021 @ 10:00 am Dementia 101: Alzheimer Disease
Options for Care
This workshop focuses on giving participants the opportunity to explore the care options that support persons living with dementia in the moderate to late stages of their journey.
- May 13, 2021 @ 10:00 am.
Join us for an interactive session that explores living well with or without memory changes. This program is open to persons concerned with normal aging, persons living with a diagnosis of dementia, care partners or anyone who just wants to learn about keeping their brain healthy and planning for the future.
- April 26, 2021 @ 1:00 pm
- May 31, 2021 @ 1:00 pm
- June 28, 2021 @ 1:00 pm
- July 26, 2021 @1:00pm
- March 30, 2021 @ 6:30 pm. Grief and COVID-19
- June 8, 2021 @ 6:30 pm. Driving and Dementia
Brain Wave Café
Join us every Friday from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm for our Brain Wave Café - a fun social gathering using the Zoom platform! Individuals living with cognitive change or dementia, care partners, family and friends are all welcome! Stay connected with friends and meet some new ones as you participate in healthy brain activities together! Note: you only need to register using the form once - the Zoom link you receive can be used week after week!
Caregiver Support Group and Coffee Hour
Do you feel alone on your journey as a care partner to someone who is living with dementia? Join other care partners for peer support and to learn new strategies that may help to decrease your stress.
Each group will be facilitated by one of our counselling staff. Please register below and an invite will be sent to you by email with instructions so that you can join us either by phone or Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month from 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm.
Evening Support Group
NEW! STARTS FEBRUARY 4, 2021. Do you feel alone on your journey as a care partner to someone who is living with dementia? Join other care partners for peer support and to learn new strategies that may help to decrease your stress.
Each group will be facilitated by one of our counselling staff. Please register below and an invite will be sent to you by email with instructions so that you can join us either by phone or Zoom on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm.
Men's Social & Support Group
Join us the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 10:00 am - 11:30 am for a fun social gathering using the Zoom platform! This online group is for male care partners of individuals living with dementia. Each group will be facilitated by one of our counselling staff.
Young Onset Dementia Care Partner Group
Join us the 1st Wednesday of each month from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm using the Zoom platform! This online facilitated group is intended to connect people who are caring for a person living with Young Onset Dementia (dementia diagnosed prior to age 65). The intent of the program is to offer a place where care partners of people living with Young Onset Dementia can access support and engage socially.
LTC Transitional Support Group
This 6 session weekly support group is designed specifically for care partners with a family member living in long-term care. Facilitated by our counselling staff, this series will help anyone having a challenging time during the period of social distancing and feeling disconnected from their family member and the long-term care facility.
- Thursdays from 4:00 pm - 5:30 am. Starting January 28, 2021 until March 4, 2021
Minds in Motion
Join us every Wednesday from 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm to keep your mind & body healthy. The first hour will be filled with gentle guided exercises by Ros-Z from YMCA Niagara. Then in the second hour you will participate in brain stimulating activities. Socialize with your peers during this fun-filled afternoon! You only need to register using the form once - the Zoom link you receive can be used week after week! Participants are welcome to join the group at 2:30 pm if they don't want to participate in the exercise portion.
Qigong Exercise Program
Back by popular demand - starting April 1, 2021! Join us every Monday and Thursday from 1pm - 2pm for Qigong facilitated by George Picard from the Village of Healing. Qigong (pronounced chee-gong) is an ancient Chinese exercise and healing technique that involves meditation, controlled breathing and movement exercises.
Exercise is an important component to maintaining a healthy brain. Due to the fact that Qigong can be performed standing or sitting, it is a physical conditioning program that is suitable for all ages and fitness levels. The soft, slow, gentle movements of Qigong practice stimulate the body to increase muscular stability, flexibility, and range of motion around all joints of the body.