We are offering various learning opportunities online to help families and friends continue to stay connected and enhance their knowledge of dementia. These programs will be hosted by an Alzheimer Society staff member.
Zoom Instructions and Training
If you would like to participate in any of these on-line programs, please:
- Use a computer, tablet or iPad to install Zoom (download instructions)
- On a computer, go to https://zoom.us/ and download and install the platform (top right corner, it’s safe, easy and free! May take about 5 minutes)
- On an iPad, go to the App Store and install "Zoom Cloud Meetings"
- On a tablet, go to the Google Play Store and install "Zoom Cloud Meetings"
- Choose any on-line education/program that interests you and register using the link provided below
- You will be sent a confirmation email with the instructions for accessing your class
- If you have questions about the zoom platform, please email [email protected] for more detailed instructions
Zoom Practice Sessions
Join us to test your connection to Zoom and increase your comfort using the platform to connect with our programs. Explore features inside Zoom including using the chat box, renaming your display name, turning your video on and off, mute and un-mute, and display options. Once you register you will be sent an email containing the link to the zoom session.
- October 28, 2020 @ 10:00 am
- November 5, 2020 @ 10:00 am
- November 24, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
- December 16, 2020 @ 10:00 am
Respite Recreation Hour
We invite everyone across Ontario to join us for a virtual variety show! Every Monday @ 11:00 am we will present fun and engaging activities such as:
- Word puzzles
- Reminiscent stories
- And much more!
Next Steps and Care Essentials
Next Steps and Care Essentials is a 4 part series offering an opportunity for families and friends of individuals with a diagnosis of dementia to learn more about dementia, develop caregiving strategies, and become familiar with community resources and supports.
- Part 1: Overview of Dementia, Diagnosis & Healthy Brain Strategies
- Part 2: Communication & Environmental Strategies
- Part 3: Understanding & Managing Challenging Behaviours
- Part 4: Difficult Discussions, Role Changes & Self Care
November 10, 12, 17, 19 from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
December 1, 3, 8, 10 from 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
U-First! Advanced is a new education program for health care staff who provide direct care, who have already taken U-First! and want to enhance their skills and ability to apply the U-First! Framework. This 6 hour education program will help you to:
- Deepen your understanding and ability to apply the U-First! framework
- Improve collaboration among all members of the team, including care partners
- Increase the wellbeing of people experiencing behaviour changes
- Reduce stress and increase job satisfaction for you and for others on the team
Note: this is a pilot program being developed by the Alzheimer Society of Ontario and participants will be invited to share their feedback through surveys and interviews.
- 2 x 3 hour sessions - Nov 11 & Nov 12, 2020 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Our new Pen Friends program matches care partners together to provide companionship and informal/peer support through postal mail or email. Make a new friend who is also caring for an individual living with dementia and stay socially engaged!
The Caregiver Wellness program provides social and educational opportunities through different workshops in the Staying Connected series.
- November 4, 2020 @ 10:00 am. Armchair Travel Costa Rica
- November 18, 2020 @ 10:00 am. Let's Talk About Falls Prevention *NEW DATE*
- December 2, 2020 @ 10:00 am. Let's Talk About Nutrition as Self-Care
Options for Care
This workshop focuses on giving participants the opportunity to explore the care options that support persons living with dementia in the moderate to late stages of their journey.
- November 11, 2020 @ 1:30 pm.
Join us for an interactive session that explores living well with or without memory changes. This program is open to persons concerned with normal aging, persons living with a diagnosis of dementia, care partners or anyone who just wants to learn about keeping their brain healthy and planning for the future.
- October 26, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
- November 23, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
- November 24, 2020 @ 6:30 pm. Financial Confidence Workshop presented by IG Wealth Managment *NEW DATE*
- November 25, 2020 @ 1:30 pm. Boredom Buster Kit Education Session
- November 26, 2020 @ 6:30 pm. Beat the Holiday Stress
Brain Wave Café
Join us every Friday from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm for our Brain Wave Café - a fun social gathering using the Zoom platform! Individuals living with cognitive change or dementia, care partners, family and friends are all welcome! Stay connected with friends and meet some new ones as you participate in healthy brain activities together! Note: you only need to register using the form once - the Zoom link you receive can be used week after week!
Caregiver Support Group and Coffee Hour
Join your peers and share a virtual coffee! This online group is for care partners of individuals living with dementia. Each group will be facilitated by one of our counselling staff. Join us the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month from 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
Men's Social & Support Group
Join us the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 10:00 am - 11:30 am for a fun social gathering using the Zoom platform! This online group is for male care partners of individuals living with dementia. Each group will be facilitated by one of our counselling staff.
Young Onset Dementia Care Partner Group
Join us the 1st Wednesday of each month from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm using the Zoom platform! This online facilitated group is intended to connect people who are caring for a person living with Young Onset Dementia (dementia diagnosed prior to age 65). The intent of the program is to offer a place where care partners of people living with Young Onset Dementia can access support and engage socially.
LTC Transitional Support Group
This 6 session weekly support group is designed specifically for care partners with a family member living in long-term care. Facilitated by our counselling staff, this series will help anyone having a challenging time during the period of social distancing and feeling disconnected from their family member and the long-term care facility.
- Thursdays from 10:00 am - 11:30 am. Starting October 15, 2020 until November 19, 2020
Minds in Motion
Join us every Wednesday from 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm to keep your mind healthy by participating in brain stimulating activities. Socialize with your peers during this fun-filled afternoon! You only need to register using the form once - the Zoom link you receive can be used week after week!