Education and awareness
In addition to the First Link® Learning Series for people with dementia and their care partners, we provide customized education programs to a wide variety of target groups. Training sessions, workshops, and public presentations are available on many dementia-related topics. Examples of various workshops/presentations and their target audiences include:
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA) in Dementia Care – a one-day workshop for health care workers in a variety of care settings
- U-First! – a one-day workshop for front-line health care workers in a variety of care settings
- Healthy Brain – a one hour presentation for the members of the public who are interested in maintaining their brain health
- Church groups – a presentation for members of congregations who are interested in learning about supporting their members who are experiencing memory loss
- Grade 5 presentation – a one-hour presentation designed to increase children's understanding of Alzheimer's disease, methods of keeping the brain healthy, and the value of older persons in our society
Other popular presentations include Overview of Dementia, Communicating with the Person with Dementia, and many other dementia-related topics.
We also publish a newsletter twice per year that contains educational information, and we host an annual Alzheimer Education Conference for health care providers.
For more information on our Education and Awareness program, or to request a presentation, please contact us at one of our offices located on the Contact Us page.
Winter Learning Series 2019: Care Essentials
By the end of this session, the learners will have:
- Reviewed changes over the course of dementia, especially in the middle stages.
- Used the 8 A’s of dementia to understand the symptoms of the person with dementia in your life.
- Created a list of strengths for the person living with dementia in your life.
Every Thursday in February: 7,14, 21, 28 from 1:30 - 3:30
9 Oakland Blvd., Oaks Center Classroom
All welcome. Pre-registration appreciated.Contact Wende at 705-848-8145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring Learning Series - TBD
Contact Wende at 705-848-8145 or email@example.com.
A Changing Melody: A New Vision of Life with Dementia
This event will offer participants the opportunity to become versed in concrete information, hands-on strategies, and helpful tips for persons living with dementia. Listen to family stories and learn from professionals in the field of dementia care. It also provides an opportunity to network with others who are travelling a similar journey.
Please join us! Free of change. Lunch included.
Grace Christian Centre-1 College Pl,
Registration at 8:30 a.m.
9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
All welcome. Limited seating. For registration, please contact Wende at 705-848-8145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.