Currently, select in-person and online programs are running. Interested individuals can contact Leigh Ann Febrey, Minds in Motion® Coordinator for further information and registration details.
What is Minds in Motion®?
Minds in Motion® is a community-based social program that incorporates physical activity and mental stimulation for people with early to mid-stage signs dementia and their care partners. Minds in Motion® take place over two-hour weekly fitness and social program that runs for eight weeks at a time. It is designed for people with early to moderate symptoms of dementia to attend with a family member or friend.
- Registration takes place at community recreation or seniors resource centres.
- Limit of 22 participants (11 pairs).
- In some circumstances individual living with dementia may register on their own, please connect with us for more information on this option
- Program includes up to 50 minutes of gentle exercises followed by refreshments and 50 minutes activities that stimulate your brain.
- Cost per participant pair is $40 (fees may vary across regions).
- Engage in chair exercises that improve overall fitness.
- Meet and socialize with others over refreshments and conversation.
- Stimulate the brain with fun and challenging activities.
- Access information about dementia and Alzheimer Society services.
For the person with dementia:
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences
For the care partners, it’s an opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner. Other benefits include:
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners
All participants can benefit from:
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting 2-3 days.
- Increased sense of social participation
- Participants’ endurance improved by 20% and strength by 15%.
- Participants reported decreased social isolation and an increase in informal networks of support
- 79% of participants continue with physical and social programs after participating
- Close to 100 volunteers and students have been trained and are active in program delivery
- 90% of staff, volunteers and students identified an increase in their dementia knowledge
Why join the program? Here's what participants had to say about it:
"I enjoyed participating in both physical exercise and social activities. It was wonderful meeting and getting to know all the participants. A great group! Overall, a great program. We both love coming. Leaders are excellent - always empathetic and great teachers.” –Care Partner
“The people involved are the most helpful. Pleasant and understanding- it’s been a very worthwhile course.” - Person with Dementia