The Alzheimer Society of Perth County follows Canada Revenue Agency’s guidelines for issuing charitable tax receipts. To issue a tax receipt, the donor’s full name and mailing address must be provided.
What gifts are eligible for a tax receipt?
- Cash gifts which have been given freely, not as a result of a contractual or other obligation. A tax receipt will be issued for the full value of the gift except in cases where the donor has received an advantage
- Gifts of property (e.g. computers, office furniture, artwork). A tax receipt for the fair market value of the property will be provided.
- Gift certificates that have been purchased from the issuer and donated by the purchaser may be receipted at its fair market value.
- Gifts of service (e.g. consulting) are not considered property by the CRA and therefore not eligible for tax receipts. In cases where a service is donated, the Chapter will pay the fee for the service. The service provider may then donate the fee back as a cash donation which can then be receipted.
- Gift of property where the fair market value cannot be determined
- Gift certificates donated by the issuer.
- Pledges are not eligible for a tax receipt until they have been fulfilled. They will then be receipted as a cash donation.
- A court-ordered donation
- Payment for raffle or lottery tickets
- Gifts made by other not-for-profit organizations (i.e. service clubs)
- Sponsorship payments
What gifts ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for a tax receipt?
When are tax receipts issued?
The Alzheimer Society of Perth County issues tax receipts throughout the year, usually within one to two weeks of receiving the gift. Monthly donors will be receipted at the end of the calendar year for the total of donations received during the tax year.
What if I lose my tax receipt?
If a tax receipt is reported lost, the Alzheimer Society of Perth County will cancel the lost receipt and issue a new receipt under another number.
What is considered an Advantage?
An advantage is when a donor received something in return for his or her gift. Examples of advantages include:
- Dinner or performance at a fundraising event
- Ticket to an event
- Physical items received in return for the donation (e.g. the cost of cards for a donation made in lieu of wedding favours)