For more information or to arrange a presentation on any of these educational opportunities, please email us or call us at Huron 519-482-1482 | 1-800-561-5012 or Perth 519-271-1910 | 1-888-797-1882.
Are you a healthcare provider? Visit our Dementia education for healthcare providers page to explore more educational opportunities.
Education Hour - Free Online Sessions
Our free online Education Hour sessions are open to everyone: members of the general public, professional and family care partners and people with dementia. They are designed to be helpful, concise and convenient. Each session includes a short presentation with time for discussion - in less than an hour.
We cover topics such as 10 Warning Signs, Types of Dementia, Communication Tips, Brain Health, What is MCI? and more. Let us know if you have a topic you would like to hear about - we love suggestions.
The Alzheimer Society Huron Perth will provide presentations at no cost to the sponsoring agency on the following topics:
- Dementia 101: What is the difference between Alzheimer's disease and dementia? What are the risk factors? Updated regularly to include recent issues and research findings.
- Brain Health 101: Discover the importance of certain lifestyle choices and their impact on risk factors for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Making healthy lifestyle choices, being socially active, protecting our heads and keeping the brain challenged are ways to keep the brain healthy. Also includes an overview of dementia.
- Brain Changes: What to expect when someone you care about has dementia
- Communication Strategies
- Advanced Care Planning
- School Programs (1 hour): basic knowledge of dementia and how to communicate and visit with a person who has Alzheimer’s disease.
- Using Montessori Techniques in Dementia Care
- Living Safely in the Community - Our Finding Your Way or Dementia Friendly Communities programs
- Programs and services supported by the Alzheimer Society Huron Perth
- Recent research and treatment updates
- Other dementia related topics of your choosing
To schedule an education session for your group, please contact our Public Education Coordinators, Christy or Jeanette or call us at Huron 519-482-1482 / 1-800-562-5012 or Perth 519-271-1910 / 1-888-797-1882.
Along with your contact information, please indicate your preferred date/time and the number of attendees expected. Presentation times outside of office hours are subject to speaker availability. While there is no set fee for this presentation, donations to the Society are accepted in lieu.
Memory and Aging Program™
Our popular Memory and Aging Program™ is for anyone interested in learning about memory changes that may occur with age. We focus on memory strategies to improve everyday memory performance. Topics include:
- What kinds of memory changes should I expect as I grow older?
- What changes are normal and which ones are not?
- Can I improve my memory?
The Memory and Aging Program™ consists of four weekly, two hour sessions. We offer the program regularly at venues throughout Huron and Perth County, as well as virtually.
Click here to see our upcoming Memory and Aging Program sessions.
Special Dementia Presentations
The Alzheimer Society Huron Perth hosts annual workshops featuring a variety of presenters and topics. These workshops facilitate the learning needs of family and health care professionals in both community and long term care settings and the general public.
Click here to see past presentations. Link coming soon.
Our Society Resource Centre includes information about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias through books, videos, and online resources. Resources are available for people with dementia, family care partners, healthcare professionals, and children in Huron and Perth Counties to borrow at no cost.