Dementia education for Everyone
The Alzheimer Society Huron Perth provides many educational opportunities for everyone. From online webinars to in-person speakers and classes, we have opportunities for you to learn more about Brain Health and Dementia.
For more information or to arrange a presentation on any of these educational opportunities, please email us or give us a call:
- Stratford Site: email Christy Bannerman or call 1-888-797-1882
- Clinton Site: email Jeanette Sears or call 1-800-561-5012
Are you a healthcare provider? Visit our Dementia education for healthcare providers page to explore more educational opportunities
Education Hour - Free Online Sessions
Our free online Education Hour sessions are open to everyone: members of the general public, professional and family carepartners and people with dementia. They are designed to be helpful, concise and convenient. Each session includes a short presentation with time for discussion - in less than an hour.
We cover topics such as 10 Warning Signs, Types of Dementia, Communication Tips, Brain Health, What is MCI? and more. Let us know if you have a topic you would like to hear about - we love suggestions.
Are you part of a community, school, church, or senior's group that would be interested in having a speaker? The Alzheimer Society Huron Perth will provide presentations at no cost to the sponsoring agency on the following topics:
- Dementia 101: What is the difference between Alzheimer's disease and dementia? What are the risk factors? Updated regularly to include recent issues and research findings.
- Brain Health 101: Discover the importance of certain lifestyle choices and their impact on risk factors for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Making healthy lifestyle choices, being socially active, protecting our heads and keeping the brain challenged are ways to keep the brain healthy. Also includes an overview of dementia.
- Brain Changes: What to expect when someone you care about has dementia
- Communication Strategies
- Advanced Care Planning
- Elementary School Grade 4 Program (1 hour): basic knowledge of dementia and how to communicate and visit with a person who has Alzheimer’s disease.
- Using Montessori Techniques in Dementia Care
- Our MedicAlert® Safely Home® or Finding Your Way programs
- A dementia related topic of your choosing
To schedule an education session for your group, please contact Jeanette or Christy or call us at 1-800-562-5012 or call 1-888-797-1882.
Along with your contact information, please indicate your preferred date/time and the number of attendees expected. Presentation times outside of office hours are subject to speaker availability. While there is no set fee for this presentation, a donation to the Society is requested in lieu.
Memory and Aging Program™
Our popular Memory and Aging Program™ is for anyone interested in learning about memory changes that may occur with age. We focus on memory strategies to improve everyday memory performance. Topics include:
- What kinds of memory changes should I expect as I grow older?
- What changes are normal and which ones are not?
- Can I improve my memory?
The Memory and Aging Program™ consists of four weekly, two hour sessions. We offer the program regularly at venues throughout Huron County.
This program is available in person or online via ZOOM.
See our Education Hour page for upcoming Memory and Aging Program sessions.
Special Dementia Presentations
The Alzheimer Society Huron Perth hosts annual workshops featuring a variety of presenters and topics. These workshops facilitate the learning needs of family and health care professionals in both community and long term care settings and the general public.
See past speakers and find out more about our Annual Fall Dementia Education Night here.
Our Society Resource Centre includes information about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias through books, videos, and online resources. Resources are available for people with dementia, family carepartners, healthcare professionals, and children in Huron County to borrow at no cost.