Whether you're interested in joining the program as a participant, or volunteering, all you need to do to get started is to contact us:
PERTH SITE CONTACT INFORMATION
Pamela Balfour Email: [email protected]
Phone: 519-271-1910 ext. 227 Toll-free: 1-888-797-1882
HURON SITE CONTACT INFORMATION
Kylie Krane Email: [email protected]
Phone: 519-482-1482 ext. 123 Toll-free: 1-800-561-5012
What is Minds in Motion®?
“[This program] has motivated me to become more physically active. I enjoy seeing my husband happy and active mentally and physically. Good leadership and good group.” – Care partner, participating in Minds in Motion® program.
Combining physical activity and cognitive engagement, Minds in Motion® unfolds to laughter and chatter, with new friendships forming and stories being shared.
Through the Minds in Motion® program, both the person living with dementia and the caregiver can benefit from the following:
- Gentle and easy-to-follow physical activities.
- Fun social activities focused on building personal skills.
Who can participate?
- Minds in Motion® participants have early to mid-stage signs of dementia and are accompanied by their caregivers.
- In some circumstances individuals register on their own, please connect with us for more information on this option.
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program.
- Each person pays a minimal registration fee of $20 per person.
How often does the program run, and for how long?
The two-hour program runs once a week, for eight weeks, in a community-based program centre. Participants commit to an eight week session. There is a waiting list.
Where does the program run?
Call the MIM Program Coordinator at the Alzheimer Society Huron Perth to find the closest Minds in Motion® program to you and for information on the next sessions. This program runs throughout the year in different locations throughout Huron and Perth Counties as well as virtually.
These sessions run for 1 ½ hours, once per week, for eight weeks. They are offered throughout Ontario, and there are no geographical restrictions to joining the program virtually. Click here to view our upcoming sessions and to register or contact your local Alzheimer Society for more information.
The benefits of Minds in Motion®
The person living with dementia benefits from...
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness.
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance.
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences.
“The people involved are most helpful. Pleasant and understanding - it’s been a very worthwhile course.” – Person living with dementia
The care partner benefits from...
- An opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner.
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners.
"I enjoyed participating in both the physical exercise and the social activities. It was wonderful meeting and getting to know all the participants. A great group! Overall, a great program. We both love coming. Leaders are excellent—always empathetic and great teachers.” – Care partner.
“Excellent program—great people, got me out of the house and got a lot of information and communication with other people. I felt more comfortable being here a second time, saw an improvement in my mother—she smiled often!” – Family caregiver
All participants benefit from...
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting two to three days.
- An increased sense of social participation.
“Excellent program—great people, got me out of the house and got a lot of information and communication with other people. I felt more comfortable being here a second time, saw an improvement in my mother—she smiled often!” - Family caregiver
Our Minds in Motion® partners
Thank you to all of our participants, sponsors and supporters!