Volunteers give us the spirit, means and energy that keep us going. We strive to find the best match for your interests and expertise and to provide meaningful participation in a volunteer friendly workplace.
Volunteer opportunities at the Alzheimer Society:
- The In-Home Recreation Therapy program provides an opportunity for people living with dementia to participate in a range of activities that are stimulating, therapeutic, and socially engaging in the comfort of their own homes. Weekly visits will be conducted over a 12-week period. Each weekly visit will involve facilitated activities with a specifically trained volunteer that will address social, physical, emotional, spiritual, cognitive, or vocational domains of wellness based upon the needs of the individual living with dementia.
- Administrative / Reception shifts are available Monday through Friday in half- or full-day sessions. Administrative duties may vary (data entry, filling envelopes, etc.), while Reception requires that the volunteer sit at the front desk and interact with both staff and clients.
- Fundraising Events are key to sustaining our organization and ensuring our growth. Volunteer tasks vary depending on the event, but generally include set-up duties, reception, and providing guidance/information to attendees.
- Board of Directors Members make governance decisions and provide guidance on long-term strategy for the organization. They serve a 3-year term with an option to serve a second term. The board meets once a month and members may take on duties beyond meetings as needed.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Improve quality of life
Whether it’s to help those with dementia, their caregivers or families, you can make a difference in your community.
- Share your knowledge
We are always looking to our volunteers for new ideas, insights and experiences.
- Be a source of support
Whether its through raising money, awareness or helping to deliver programs at your local Society, volunteering supports individuals with dementia and their families.
- Learn new skills
Gain practical experience and advance your career
- Become engaged in your community
By volunteering, you will have the chance to meet new people, connect with your community and make memories to last a lifetime.
- Have fun!
Volunteering is a great way make a difference while having fun in the process!