- To see a list of other Dementia Friendly Communities across Ontario.
- Learn more about this initiative in the Waterloo-Wellington region.
Dementia is an umbrella term used to describe conditions that affect memory, communication, and the ability to perform day-to-day activities. Alzheimer’s disease is one type of dementia.
As people living with dementia go about their daily activities, they may:
- Face challenges using a debit or credit card
- Experience difficulty focusing or become overwhelmed in a large crowd
- Have trouble communicating if they cannot remember certain words
Each person living with dementia will have different needs. Your understanding can make a difference.
What is a dementia-friendly community?
A dementia-friendly community:
UNDERSTANDS dementia and the challenges that people living with dementia face in their community.
INCLUDES people living with dementia in all aspects of community life.
ENCOURAGES and promotes the independence of people living with dementia.
ASSISTS people living with dementia in the most appropriate and helpful ways.
VALUES and welcomes people living with dementia in their businesses and establishments.
How can this program help me?
People Living with Dementia & Care Partners
You will be able to easily identify businesses and organizations that have been trained to provide good and respectful customer service to you and your family.
Businesses and Organizations
You will have the ability to provide a unique, high-quality service to new and existing customers. By displaying the blue umbrella decal, you will encourage people living with dementia and their care partners to choose you.
You and your family will live in a community that is dedicated to the safety and engagement of all of its members.
How can I get involved?
Businesses and organizations have an opportunity to receive education about dementia and learn strategies to provide good customer service to people living with dementia.
Those who receive training and adopt the strategies will be designated as a dementia-friendly location and will display a blue umbrella decal.
People living with dementia may wear a self-identifier in the form of a blue umbrella pin.
Dementia Friendly Communities in the Waterloo Wellington region:
- Canadian Clay & Glass Museum
- Dunfield Theatre
- Elora Festival Singers
- FEDS Special Needs Soccer Tournament
- Fergus Fall Fair
- Fergus Scottish Festival
- Grand River Raceway
- Guelph Civic Museum
- Guelph Public Library
- Idea Exchange Art + Design
- Joseph Schneider Haus
- Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery
- Knox Presbyterian Church
- KW Symphony
- McCrae House
- The Langs Community Health Centre
- THE MUSEUM
- Thomas Hisey, Advisor, Sun Life Financial
- Rivera Victoria Place Retirement Homes
- St. Jacobs Country Playhouse
- Waterloo Region Museum
- Waterloo Kitchener United Mennonite Church
- Wellington County Library
- Your Neighbourhood Credit Union – Guelph Branch