To register or for more information on Minds in Motion®, contact our office:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 519-482-1482 or Toll-free: 1-800-561-5012
What is Minds in Motion®?
“[This program] has motivated me to become more physically active. I enjoy seeing my husband happy and active mentally and physically. Good leadership and good group.” – Care partner, participating in Huron County's Minds in Motion® program.
Combining physical activity and cognitive engagement, Minds in Motion® unfolds to laughter and chatter, with new friendships forming and stories being shared.
Who can participate?
- Minds in Motion® participants have early to mid-stage signs of dementia and are accompanied by their caregivers.
- In some circumstances individuals register on their own, please connect with us for more information on this option.
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program.
- Each pair pays a minimal registration fee (fees may vary).
How often does the program run, and for how long?
The two-hour program runs once a week, for eight weeks, in a community-based program centre.
Where does the program run?
Huron County Minds in Motion® programs are regularly offered in Clinton, Exeter, Goderich, Grand Bend and Wingham - as well as virtually via ZOOM. Contact Brianne to find one closest to you.
The benefits of Minds in Motion®
The person living with dementia benefits from...
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness.
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance.
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences.
“The people involved are most helpful. Pleasant and understanding - it’s been a very worthwhile course.” – Person living with dementia
The care partner benefits from...
- An opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner.
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners.
"I enjoyed participating in both the physical exercise and the social activities. It was wonderful meeting and getting to know all the participants. A great group! Overall, a great program. We both love coming. Leaders are excellent—always empathetic and great teachers.” – Care partner.
“Excellent program—great people, got me out of the house and got a lot of information and communication with other people. I felt more comfortable being here a second time, saw an improvement in my mother—she smiled often!” – Family caregiver
Our Minds in Motion® partners
Thank you to all of our participants, sponsors and supporters!
The Alzheimer Society of Huron County, in partnership with the Alzheimer Societies of Perth and Grey-Bruce, recognizes and thanks our founding partners of Minds in Motion®, the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
We also thank our local partners: One Care Home and Community Support Services, MacKay Centre for Seniors, North Huron Wescast Community Recreation Complex, South Huron Recreation Complex, and Grand Bend Community Health Care Centre.