People with Alzheimer's disease aren't acting different because they don't care about you anymore. They still want to spend time and have fun with you. Changes deep in their brain are destroying the centres that control remembering, thinking and feeling, making it hard for them to talk to you like they used to. Here's some ways to help you speak to your grandparent:
- Introduce yourself. Your grandparent may no longer remember who you are.
- Be calm and gentle. You set the mood.
- Go slowly. People with dementia need more time respond.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Approach the person from the front.
- Use personal touch to connect.
- Use the person's name to get his attention.
- Be accepting of inappropriate answers and nonsense words.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017