- To apply as a volunteer in our office, click here.
- For details and to apply for the Volunteer Companion Program, click here.
Volunteers are the most important resource for charitable organizations like ours - their time and energy are essential to help us support people living with dementia and their families. We would love to have your time and talents to help us create our vision of a world without Alzheimer's disease & other dementias.
The Alzheimer Society of PEI has two types of volunteers, Office Volunteers who help with making sure our office, programs & services and events run smoothly and then we have our Volunteer Companions who volunteer outside of our office with Islanders who are living the journey of Alzheimer's or related dementias.
In order to complete the volunteer process:
If you have any questions, please contact us at:
Alzheimer Society of PEI
166 Fitzroy Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 1S1
Tel: 902-628-2257 or 1-866-628-2257 (Toll-free)
Email: [email protected]
Volunteer Companion Program (VCP)
Just For You: Volunteer Companion Program is an one-on-one visiting program for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia.
Volunteer companions are matched with a person with the disease and visit once a week, during their preferred time, to provide socialization and meaningful activity to the individual. These visits give the caregiver opportunity for respite and assist them in keeping their loved one at home longer.
Here are the benefits for individuals involved in all aspects of the program:
- Assists in keeping the family member at home longer.
- Provides a needed break from caregiving responsibilities.
- Provides peace of mind knowing their family member is being cared for, and enjoying themselves
Person with Dementia
- Reduces isolation
- Provides meaningful activity & social interaction
- Assists in maintaining current skills
- Fosters a sense of pride and respect in themselves
- Provides a new friend to share interests, time & companionship
- Provides a new friendship the improves the quality of life for the person with dementia
- Develops a sense of achievement, a feeling of giving back, and belonging
- Provides opportunity for personal growth, skill development, social interaction & community relationships
Volunteer Companions do what ordinary friends like to do:
- Reminisce - Photo Albums
- Encourage participation in hobbies
- Card/board games
- Musical avenues
- Arts and crafts
- Coffee shop outings
- Outdoor activities
ASPEI assists caregivers, clients, and volunteers throughout all aspects of the program. We offer a comprehensive training program for the volunteers to ensure their success in the program; it is designed to teach companions more about dementia, communication strategies, and meaningful activities so they feel prepared for their role as volunteer companion.
Interested in participating in VCP? Next Steps:
- Volunteer File Forms
- Caregiver File Forms
*Files must be completed in hard copy form, and returned to the office.
Thank you to the Alzheimer Society of Huron County for the development of this program.