Other resources for the person with dementia
Alzheimer Society of Durham Region has a variety of print and video resources. Our staff are happy to put information packages together for you, or you may drop by and browse in the Resource Centre at our Oshawa office.
The links below may also be of interest to you:
Learning about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- What is Alzheimer’s disease?
- Dispelling the myths
- A report on Alzheimer’s disease and current research by Scientific Director Emeritus Dr. Jack Diamond
- Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center – current and comprehensive information about Alzheimer’s disease and resources from the U.S. government’s National Institute on Aging.
Living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- First Steps: For those recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease
- Treatment options
- What to expect
- Shared experiences: Suggestions for those with Alzheimer’s disease
- By Us For Us Guides – inspirational guides for people with early stage memory loss
- Dancing with dementia: My story of living positively with dementia, by Christine Bryden (order through Jessica Kingsley Publishers: www.jkp.com)
- The person with Alzheimer’s disease: Pathways to understanding the experience, edited by Phyllis Braudy Harris (order through Johns Hopkins University Press: www.press.jhu.edu.com)
Forums and chats for people with dementia
- Alzheimer Society of Canada Message Board
- Alzheimer's Association Message Board and Chat Rooms
- DASN (Dementia Advocacy and Support Network) (daily real-time chat at 3 p.m. EST and 9 p.m. EST)
Many resources are available online for people living with dementia. Please note that the Alzheimer Society of Canada is not able to guarantee the accuracy of the information on these websites and does not endorse any products or services offered through them.
- I Can! I Will! Idea Library - A library of ideas to help people around the world stand up and speak out about Alzheimer's disease and related dementias.
- DASN International (Dementia Advocacy and Support Network) – An online community that is part of a non-profit organization working to improve the lives of people with dementia.
- DementiaGuide – a website that helps people with Alzheimer’s disease and their caregivers recognize, understand, record and monitor symptoms