History of the Alzheimer Society of Niagara Region
The Alzheimer Society of Niagara Region has been providing support, resources and education for over 36 years to persons living with dementia, their care partners, formal caregivers and the Niagara public at large.
The Alzheimer Society of Niagara Region was founded in 1984 through the vision of a small group of family caregivers who wanted to share their experiences and lend support to other families. Over the next 4 years, the overwhelming need for services in the Region precipitated an application to the Ministry of Health for base funding to hire qualified counselling staff and in 1988, the Family Support Program was developed. Avondale House was established in 1991, and again, the continued need for service over the following 10 years necessitated a second capital campaign. In July 2001, we opened the Alzheimer Society of Niagara Region Family and Community Resource Centre.
How We Make a Difference in Niagara
- We work toward improving the quality of life of people living with dementia and their caregivers throughout the Niagara Region
- We take a person-centred and relationship-based approach to supporting the individual with dementia, as well as their primary caregiver and all the family members to ensure the well-being of all involved
- We provide continence care products to preserve a person’s sense of dignity
- We provide some transportation assistance to and from our planned activities to people in need. Transportation is a major barrier as most individuals with dementia have lost their license
- We provide education to families and other service providers to increase their knowledge, awareness and understanding of dementia and the issues that arise
- We provide people in the early stages of dementia with information, education and support to help them better understand dementia and plan for the future
- We provide opportunities for people to meet others who share a similar experience, to socialize and to engage in activities that promote health and well-being
- We help to keep individuals at home for longer