The first step to accessing the Recollections program is to make a referral to the Alzheimer Society:
- Fill out our online referral form
- Call our office at 905-687-3914
For more information, download the Recollections brochure.
What is Recollections?
The Recollections Program helps individuals living with dementia (participants) to document their Life Story, creating a keepsake book that they can cherish and share with others. Recollections is a chance for individuals in the early to middle stages of Alzheimer's disease or other dementias to share their stories and personal history to help preserve their heritage.
Why create a Life Story book?
- The process of reviewing one’s life can be therapeutic by helping a person remember old stories and times and potentially attach new, more positive meaning to them
- Reviewing one’s life is great for utilizing long-term memory and stimulating the brain
- The process of creating the book requires one to use communication skills by conversing with another person
- Enhances and preserves self-identity
- Helps loved ones and healthcare providers better understand the individual and their history
What is the process?
- The program runs once a week for 6 weeks. Each session is one (1) hour in length
- Each participant will be matched with a trained volunteer
- Each week the participant and volunteer will work together to complete one (1) topic for the Life Story book
- Participants select topics they would like to include in their book and are provided with cueing questions to spark memories/ information for the topic page
- Participants are asked to bring in 3-4 pictures each week relating to the weekly topic
At the end of the program participants will be provided one computer printed book of between 10 and 20 pages. As well, a computer disc with an electronic copy of the book will be provided for participants to print copies of the book on their own if they wish.
Sample Life Story book pages
Looking to become a volunteer for the Recollections Program? Click here to learn more and apply!