Only registered clients are eligible for the Friendly Visiting Program. Make a referral or call our office at 905-687-3914 to get connected today!
If you are interested in becoming a Friendly Visitor and making a difference in the life of an individual living with dementia, contact Christine Hurtubise, Coordinator of Volunteer Programs at 905-687-6856 ext 544.
- Provide trained volunteers to engage in meaningful activities with someone living with dementia in the community
- Provide an opportunity for caregivers to obtain some much needed personal time
- Decrease social isolation of individuals living with dementia in the community
- Individuals living with dementia in the community already connected to our Caregiver and Family Support Program or Intensive Support Program
- An individual who demonstrates a decrease in social involvement and engagement
- An individual withdrawing from community-based activities
- An individual who would benefit from participating in meaningful activities
Intake & Match Process
- Your case counsellor completes a volunteer request form and forwards to the Coordinator of Volunteer Programs
- The individual with dementia is placed on a waiting list
- Matches are made according to length on waiting list, location, and matching the interests and preferences of the individual with dementia to the volunteer
- Your counsellor will contact you when a volunteer match has been selected to arrange for a first meeting with the volunteer
What to Expect
- All volunteers will be cleared through a vulnerable sector police check and will have completed our Volunteer Training Program.
- We ask that our volunteers spend a minimum of one hour a week with the individual living with dementia. The time and dates of the visits will be established mutually between the individual living with dementia, the caregiver, and the volunteer.
- Friendly Visiting volunteers are not permitted to perform personal care duties or be responsible for the care of the client.
- Friendly Visiting volunteers should not be left alone in the home with persons who would not normally be left on their own.
The Tele-Care program provides Friendly Visiting through phone calls with trained volunteers.