If you are a health-care provider, please see the page Making a referral to First Link® and download the referral form. Please note: you can download the PDF form, fill in information directly on the form, print and then fax it in.
First Link® referrals
Receiving a diagnosis of dementia is life-changing. Education helps people to be as prepared as possible for what to expect throughout the progression of the disease.
- First Link® referral gets you connected to First Link® dementia support throughout your journey.
- Once a referral has been made, you don't have to contact the Alzheimer Society of B.C. - we reach out to you to provide information and support.
- First Link® dementia support includes:
- Ongoing support calls.
- Support groups both for people in the early stages of dementia and for caregivers, available in-person or over the phone.
- Minds in Motion®, a social and fitness program for people in the early stages of dementia to attend with a care partner.
- Dementia education workshops and dementia dialogues, available in-person or through webinars.
- Information and resources including brochures, fact sheets and videos as well as quarterly newsletters and updates on events in your area.
How do First Link® referrals work?
- When those with a diagnosis are referred by a health-care provider, someone from the Alzheimer Society of B.C. will call within three weeks.
- Ongoing follow-up contact ensures that you can easily receive information about the disease, help with planning for the future, tips for day-to-day living and support services when you need them.
- A First Link bulletin for your area is distributed every three months to keep everyone informed about upcoming education and support programs.
- Individuals/families receive an information package, connection to Alzheimer Society education programs and support groups, and referrals to other community and health-care services. Please refer to our First Link brochure for families for more information.
- Note: If you are a person living with dementia, or you are caring for someone living with dementia, please ask your health-care provider to complete a form below to make a formal referral to First Link® dementia support. You can also contact your local Resource Centre or call the First Link® Dementia Helpline at 1-800-936-6033.