Step 1: Partner in providing dementia-friendly education
- Work with the Alzheimer Society of B.C. to hold a dementia-friendly workshop for the Mayor and the council.
- Co-host a dementia-friendly workshop for the general public.
- Appoint a dementia-friendly communities point-person to be the Society’s contact.
Step 2: Set up a dementia-friendly working group
- Identify key stakeholders, people living with dementia and community members to join a working group responsible for advising on your local government’s Dementia-Friendly Action Plan.
Step 3: Develop a Dementia-Friendly Action Plan
- Work with the Alzheimer Society of B.C., local government staff and the working group to create a Dementia-Friendly Action Plan that focuses on the key areas identified in your community.
- Develop a strategy in partnership with city staff and the working group to communicate the dementia-friendly work being taken in the community with the general public.
Step 4: Implement your Dementia-Friendly Action Plan
- Present the Dementia-Friendly Action Plan to the Alzheimer Society of B.C. for endorsement.
- If endorsed, share with City Council, and request an endorsement or a resolution to work towards becoming dementia friendly.
- Continue to meet with the working group regularly to work on the Dementia-Friendly Action Plan, and with the Alzheimer Society of B.C. to review the progress of the plan and ongoing ideas for dementia-friendliness.
Step 5: Stay accountable
- Engage people living with dementia on an ongoing basis in guiding and consulting on dementia-friendly goals and actions.
- Stay in touch with the Alzheimer Society of B.C. - Provide a short (maximum one-page) brief or organize a short update meeting every six months.
- Complete an annual self-assessment (provided by the Society) on your community’s progress.
More useful links and resources
This page provides an overview of the communities throughout B.C that are working with the Society to become more dementia friendly.
This page provides an overview of our Dementia-Friendly Communities Local Government Toolkit, which contains practical suggestions and tools to begin a Dementia-Friendly Action Plan.
If you have any questions, inquiries, or would like more details on how you can make your community dementia-friendly, contact us at [email protected] or 604-742-4910.