COVID-19 and dementia
As the COVID-19 (coronavirus) continues to evolve here in British Columbia and around the world, it's our priority to make sure we continue to provide our programs and services for people living with dementia and their caregivers – and to ensure that anyone affected by dementia feels connected and supported. On this page you can find:
For updates on the IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s, click here.
How we can help
First Link® Dementia Helpline
The First Link® Dementia Helpline provides people living with dementia, their caregivers, health-care providers and the general public with information and guidance on dementia and memory loss.
We have extended the hours of our Helpline, which are now open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. to provide evening service in English. Our Mandarin, Cantonese and Punjabi support will continue to be available between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call us:
- English: 1-800-936-6033
- Cantonese and Mandarin: 1-833-674-5007
- Punjabi: 1-833-674-5003
Connect with dementia support and knowledge from anywhere through our webinars.
Upcoming live webinars:
Accessing care services during COVID-19
Wednesday, May 27, 2 p.m. (60 minutes)
Learn strategies for navigating changes in accessing services and how to get the most out of your interactions with care providers.
Virtual visits: Making the most of video calling
Wednesday, June 3, 2 p.m. (45 minutes)
Explore strategies to maximize success when video calling family members and friends.
Available 24/7 through our website. Previous topics that may be of particular help include:
- Caregiving during COVID-19
- Activities to do at home
- Building caregiver resilience
- Long-distance caregiving
- How to support a friend who has dementia or is a caregiver
- Understanding behaviour
Visit alzbc.org/webinars for more details on all our upcoming webinars and to access the full webinar archive.
- Where to access information about COVID-19
- Support for people living with dementia during COVID-19
- Caring for someone living with dementia at home
- Caring for someone living with dementia in long-term care
- Caring for someone living with dementia in the community
- Activities to try while physical distancing