Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently offering virtual programs. In-person support groups for people living with dementia will resume when we are confident it is safe to do so.
To learn more and find out if an early stage group is the right fit for you, please call the First Link® Dementia Helpline at 1-800-936-6033 or see the First Link® Bulletin for a list of days and times available.
Why join an early-stage coffee & chat group?
To participate in an informal group for people living with early symptoms of dementia by:
- Sharing experiences
- Sharing a laugh
- Enjoying the company of others who are living the dementia experience.
- Building new friendships
You are invited to make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of coffee or tea and join us virtually to say ‘hello.’
Why join an early-stage support group?
To engage in facilitated discussions about the impact of living with early symptoms of dementia by sharing:
- Experiences and learning from one another how to live as well as possible with dementia.
- Laughs and helping each other through mutual understanding.
- Tips and strategies for coping with the many changes connected with the disease.
Having a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or another dementia affects many areas of your life and people in this situation experience a variety of feelings.
The reality of the disease can make it difficult to stay in touch with friends and family and can lead to loneliness and isolation.
Peer groups can be:
- An opportunity to decrease feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- A place to express feelings and be reassured that these feelings are normal and expected.
- A place to find a positive outlook on things without being misunderstood.
- The chance to regain some control in the face of a disease that cannot be controlled.
- A place to find a sense of hope.
To learn more and find out if an early-stage group is the right fit for you, please call the First Link® Dementia Helpline at 1-800-936-6033 to register.